Hey pixels!! It’s time to go to the beach!! Are you ready?? Do you have all the stuff you’ll need there?? Maybe this DIY can help you, if your answer is no….
Today we’re making 3 things in one: a blanket, a pillow and a tote to carry the first two things… Cool?? It is. But the best part is that all you need is an old sheet and a bit of foam. Yes, I know you have to sew, but it’s only a few straight seams. Everybody can do it. Trust me, I’ve made one…
- an old sheet
- sewing machine
- pen, ruler, scissors
How to make it:
- Lay your bed sheet out horizontally on a flat surface, placing the top of the bed sheet on the right and the bottom of the bed sheet on the left.
- First, turn the bottom of the bed sheet into a large square blanket: using the short end as your guide, trim the length of the bed sheet down to size, making sure to leave an extra inch of fabric for the hem. (You can measure the exact length of the short side with a ruler and trace with a permanent marker for accuracy before you make your cuts.) Reserve the extra fabric for later.
- Fold over the trimmed end a half inch and iron flat. Repeat this step one more time, so that the final hem has been folded and ironed twice.
- Sew the folded edge to prevent fraying. Fold the blanket into fourths and set aside.
- Next, make your tote: Take the extra fabric, fold it in half, and trace a rectangle shape on it.
- Sew (inside out) 3 sides of your tote, leaving the top open. Make a trim and sew it to prevent fraying.
- Finally, create your straps: cut off the remaining thick piece of the top sheet, cut it in two, fold in half each one and sew together into a long tube. Flip the tubes inside out and iron flat.
- Trim the ends of each straps to make a clean line, fold over, iron, and sew at the top of the bag.
- To finish, we’ll make the pillow. Take the last piece of fabric and cut it into two small rectangles. Sew inside out 3 sides. Flip the pillow inside out and fill with foam. Sew the last side.
- Stuff the blanket and the pillow in the tote and take off!
Do you go to the beach? Do you make picnics? If you’re making this DIY, why not instagram your masterpiece? Use the hashtag #thehappiestpixel