Hey pixels, I made this cake last weekend to celebrate my mom’s birthday. It’s angel food cake filled with custard and topped with a dark chocolate ganache. Actually I think it’s very similar to a Boston cream pie, but I can’t tell you properly due I’ve never eated Boston cream pie….
It’s really easy to make this cake and the results are good. My mom was very pleased with it (and the rest of the family too, of course). The whole cake disapeared in less than a sec… lol
- 1 cup flour
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Filling: homemade custard (learn how to make it like a pro here)
- Ganache: 200g dark chocolate, 2 tablespoons butter
How to make it:
0. Preheat the oven at 160º
- First, put the egg whites in a bowl. Make sure the bowl is big enough; mine wasn’t and I had to transfer the whites to a bigger one. Beat them until foamy, then add half of the sugar and the salt. Keep beating until stiff peaks form.
3. Transfer to an ungreased mold. Bake for 45′
4. Allow to cool. Unmold.
5. With a serrated knife, make two slices out of the cake; fill with the homemade custard. (Actually it’s very easy to make and it’s better than the instant vanilla pudding. Don’t be afraid to try) 6. To make the ganache, simply melt the chocolate and the butter in a double boiler (or use the microwave). 7. Eat (you’re allowed to repeat this step if you want)